Advent outreach resources available for local churches
New resources that support local church Advent outreach efforts are now available. All resources carry the theme, "Unwrap the True Meaning of Christmas," and complement The United Methodist Church's national Advent advertising campaign, which will feature children sharing what Christmas means to them.
Available resources include:
- Postcards, customized with information about the local church and mailed within a radius of the church's address;
- Door hangers with customizable space;
- Invitation cards for church members to use to invite friends and family members to attend a worship service or church event;
- A selfie stand to encourage fun photo opportunities for social media posts; and
- An outdoor banner.
Free downloadable files are also available. They include a how-to guide as well as:
- Advent sermon starters with accompanying videos;
- Social media calendar with pre-written posts and imagery;
- Bulletin and worship graphics;
- Videos for worship and social media;
- Website and social media graphics; and
- January sermon series from Discipleship Ministries with accompanying videos and promotional flyer.
Churches are also invited to be part of the 16-state "True Meaning of Christmas Tour" (www.umcom.org/rethink-church/the-true-meaning-of-christmas-tour) Dec. 2-24. The tour will stop in 21 cities where volunteers will invite guests to visit a local United Methodist church and participate in a mission project, share prayer requests and offer a video booth experience.
Local churches in any location can be a part of the tour by hosting a hot cocoa fellowship event. Tour-branded stickers will be available this fall so that churches can brand hot cocoa cups given out along with invitations to worship services and holiday events. More information is available on the Christmas tour website to support churches as they make plans.
Churches are encouraged to update their Find-A-Church profile with current contact and worship information. To get started, visit www.umc.org/find-a-church/search, search for your church, select the profile, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Update Church Information."
United Methodist Communications