Save the Date! UMC #GivingTuesday is Nov. 29
On Nov. 29, United Methodists will come together to support the work of General Board of Global Ministries' missionaries and projects on UMC #GivingTuesday. In 2015, more than 770 missionaries and projects received 8,757 gifts through The Advance, the denomination's designated giving channel.
The Advance is the official channel for voluntary, designated, second-mile giving of The United Methodist Church. Through The Advance, annual conferences, districts, local churches and organizations, as well as individuals and families, may choose to support mission programs or mission personnel with their financial gifts. One hundred percent of each gift goes as designated. Global Ministries' staff have vetted and approved each Advance project.
"Give Light, Give Love, Give Life" is the theme for UMC #GivingTuesday 2016. This year, consider supporting a project that inspires your spiritual passion. Go to www.umcmission.org/give to learn about projects and to donate.
Gifts made through The Advance make a tangible difference in the lives of those served. More information and resources are available at www.umcgivingtuesday.org.
High resolution, already-sized banners for websites, publications, Facebook and Twitter are available at www.umcmission.org/giving-tuesday/banners.
Here are some other ways to get involved:
- Donate time, say a prayer, or create a non-financial way to support the missionary or project to supplement your financial gift.
- Insert a flier into your church bulletin and integrate stories of Advance projects and missionaries into meetings or sermons leading up to Nov. 29.
- Give children boxes to collect money for the project or missionary they are supporting.
- Raise awareness about UMC #GivingTuesday through your annual conference social media networks.
- Take a "selfless selfie" holding a sign with a UMC #GivingTuesday graphic that says, "On UMC #GivingTuesday, I'm giving light, giving love, and giving life. Please join me by supporting __________________ [insert project/missionary name] Nov. 29. www.umcmission.org/give." Post these selfies on social media and your website.
- Ask friends and family to make an early Christmas gift in your honor to your favorite Advance project or missionary on Nov. 29. Or make a gift in honor of those on your Christmas list.
- Send an email to your community network asking for support for The Advance on UMC #GivingTuesday.